Dear Brookside Families,
Students will be back in school on Tuesday, Dec 6!!
Teachers in Nova Scotia will follow work-to-rule job action that began Monday, December 5th as directed by the NSTU.
While we know extracurricular activities will be cancelled during this period of job action, it’s difficult to share more specific information at this time. The NSTU and HRSB are working to gain clarity and common understanding of what exactly work-to-rule will look like.
Much has been shared in the media and our intention is to share with you directly the most accurate picture possible of how job action will impact the students in our public education system. What this means is that teachers are no longer allowed by their union to do anything that is not required by their job description. Many things teachers do are above and beyond their job description. There are too many to list but here are some that will have the most impact on us here at Brookside:
As of Monday, December 5:
- All NSTU members will report to work 20 minutes before school begins and depart 20 minutes after. Please ensure you are dropping off and picking up your child during the 20 minutes before (after 7:40am) and after school (before 2:20pm). Some buses will arrive at 7:30 and we want to assure you that administration will be there to supervise them!
- All extra-curricular programs including: intramurals, teams, organization club and other clubs will be suspended.
- No extra help at lunch hour or before or after school
- No breakfast program
- The library and cafeteria will remain open at lunch
- Entrepreneur Fair scheduled for Dec 8 is postponed until further notice
- 50/50 fundraiser for the grade 9 trip will continue because it is a parent led fundraiser
- Band instruction at lunch will continue as this is considered instructional time
We will continue to share information with you, as it becomes known to us. One assurance we can offer at this time is that all students will be provided ongoing education and their safety will, at all times, remain our priority.
Thank you so much for all of your support – it really means a lot during what will be an uncomfortable time for all of us!
Joanne Kirkpatrick and Craig Nelson